What can I do if my ex-spouse refuses to pay child support?

If your ex-spouse has been ordered to pay either child support or maintenance and fails to do so, you can ask the court to hold your ex-spouse in contempt of court. If found to be in contempt, your ex-spouse could be imprisoned. Another available remedy is to garnish his/her wages; the disobedient ex-spouse’s employer will deduct money from his/her paycheck and pay you directly.