Motion to Modify

When child custody and support cases are decided when a child is very young, a great deal can change in the course of a decade. Adjustments to child support and custody arrangements may need to be made as time passes.

It can be very easy and quick to modify court orders if both parties agree to the changes, and it can be more difficult and require legal counsel if both parties do not agree to the changes.

Especially in the cases of older children, their needs are considered as well. For example, if a child was living with one parent and visiting the other, they may decide that they want to live with the opposite parent. If the child is old enough to make that decision and there’s no evidence that it would be a damaging environment for the child to live in full time, the court will likely allow that to happen.

A Howard County, Maryland family law attorney can provide more information about motions to modify.